Built Upon a Rock

Saturday, May 24, 2014

(photo credit: blavandmaster via photopin cc)

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock -Matthew 24:7

These are convicting words; words that came to me this morning, a day before my 26th birthday. I was beginning to feel restless, stressed and heavy with burdens. Something was not right. 

"My thoughts have been in a tailspin..." I wrote in my journal. "Things seem messy to me at the moment. And to be quite frank, they are. I don't like messy when it comes to my life. I like pretty, put together, planned ahead--all with a pretty pink bow on top! (Thank you very much)!"

But as I continued to pour my heart out in my journal this morning, I realized that in my attempt to have my life neat and tidy, I began trying to build my house on my preconceived notions of what I thought my life should look like. Those preconceived notions were born out of many different things, some good, some not so good. But it snowballed into something that turned sour and I believe has only hindered me. 

Fruitlessly I've trying to build my life into what I believe it should be without waiting for God. I've taken control and run ahead of my Lord. That's why my thoughts have been in a tailspin, that's why I've been stressed and carrying burdens I'm not meant to carry.

"Let go" God says. "Let go of it all and hold only onto Me." 

I realized that in my attempt to build my own life I was like the foolish man Jesus talked about to His disciples.

"But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” Matthew 7:26-27

What have I building my house upon? Sinking sand, that's what! Every time my preconceived notions fell with a crash I began trying to rebuild again. It didn't work. It just kept falling down. 

"I've run ahead of God trying to build my life into what I think it should be. But I can't do it. It's impossible for me to do. Only God can rebuild the mess.... A layman doesn't build a new house on his own. He needs an architect to do it for him; someone who knows what they're doing. If a layman set about building a house all on his own without an knowledge of how to go about it, then I guarantee that house will fall. He'll be left scrambling to pick up the pieces." 

Isn't that just what Jesus is teaching us here in Scripture? As His words came into my heart this morning, I realized my grave mistake. By building my house on all other things besides Jesus Christ my Rock, I set myself up for failure, heartache and ruin. 

I made a choice to let go, give God control, let Him take my mess and build my house on the Rock higher than I. Jesus is the Master Architect. 

I realized that by building our house on Him alone, we therefore set ourselves up for victory. We can trust the Master Builder to build and rebuild if necessary. Didn't Nehemiah rebuild the house of the Lord by God's grace? How much more can Jesus build and rebuild our own house starting with the firm foundation of Himself?!

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I
Psalm 61:2b


share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply