A Busy Season

Monday, March 31, 2014

(photo credit: joiseyshowaa via photopin cc)

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens
Ecclesiastes 3:1

Things here have been busy. The hustle and bustle of everyday activities seem to have gotten more... hustly and bustly. (Like my made up words?) Every time I cross something off of my proverbial to do list, 3 more things suddenly seem to get added, hence the reason why things on my blog here have been slow.

I'm not used to the hustle and bustle of life. In fact I like doing things at a slower pace. The mere thought of going into a busy city for an extended period of time creates anxiety in me. Admittedly I'd probably be more content living on a ranch in Montana than in a busy city any day of the week. But at the moment, I'm in a busy season. And to be completely honest, it's not the worst thing in the world. In fact, I've come to see it as a blessing. 

The lessons I'm learning during this busy season of life is teaching me to lean wholly upon God and upon Him alone. With all the tasks to be done, the children to serve and care for, the laundry to do, and meals to make, things can get a bit hectic. It's easy to try and do all of it in my own strength (try being the operative word here) without consulting God in each decision I make or task I do, but that won't get me very far. I'd be more like the hare rather than the tortoise and never end up finishing the race that God has set before me. I don't want to burn out because I didn't lean wholly upon God during this busy season. 

The little prayers of "help me God" or "strengthen me Lord" or "give me your joy Jesus" are my life lines. Each time I pray God hears me and answers my prayer. It's in these moments I begin to learn what it's like to do all things through Christ who strengthen me (Philippians 4:13). 

Are you in a busy season of life right now? Do you feel like you can't get through the next hour let alone the next day? Are you depleted of energy and just want to hit pause on another somewhat chaotic morning? Take heart my friend and know this, that God is standing by and ready to fill you with His Holy Spirit to strengthen you, comfort you and give you His peace during this season. This is the time to lean into Him more than you have before. God is more than willing to show you Himself in brand new ways and to provide for you exactly what you need. 
 
Not by might, nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts. Zechariah 4:6

The busyness your experiencing won't last forever. One day we will experience God's true rest on the other side of eternity. Until we experience this eternal rest though, choose rather to rest in His loving arms. It's there that we find rest for our souls as we walk with Him each and every day. 

Here's a poem I've heard Elisabeth Elliot quote before in one of her talks and often refer back to it during one of my busy days. It helps me to remember to do one thing at a time and not to try and do everything at once in my own strength. May you be blessed as you read it as well. 


"From an old English parsonage,
Down by the sea,
There came in the twilight,
A message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend,
Deeply engraven,
Hath, as it seems to me,
Teaching from Heaven.
And on through the hours
The quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration-
Do the next thing

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment,
Let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity,
Guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows,
Child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus,
Do the next thing

Do it immediately;
Do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence,
Tracing His Hand,
Who placed it before thee with
Earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence,
Safe 'neath His wing,
Leave all resultings,
Do the next thing

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
(Working or suffering)
Be thy demeanor,
In His dear presence,
The rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance
Be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness,
Praise and sing,
Then, as He beckons thee,
Do the next thing"

-Author unknown quoted by Elisabeth Elliot



share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply