Lessons from a Kindergartener

Friday, May 17, 2013

I love little children. There is something so sweet, precious and innocent about them that I just can't resist. The love they give and trust they have in others is like a little glimpse of heaven on earth. The tiny fingers, rosy cheeks, bright smiles and yes even messy faces are a blessing to behold. These fleeting years of childhood are a gift and it's become even more evident to me since I began to help teach some wide eyed kindergartners.

I went in to kindergarten hoping to bless these children by helping them learn their alphabet, numbers, counting, reading and writing. Little did I know though that these children would be the ones teaching and blessing me.

God has taught me a lot through these precious babes, and over time I began to think about some of the many the lessons I've learned from them. I would like to share them with you today.

Lesson One: Don't Be In A Rush.

Schedules are a good thing. We use them to plan out our day and get things done. Without them time may be wasted and we can become unproductive in our work; however, schedules aren't set in stone either. I'm often tempted to hurry along these children to begin our next lesson (counting, writing etc). They, on the other hand, have a tendency. It was easy for me to try and keep them under a tight thumb even if the clock wasn't against us, so to speak. But really it was those moments when I let the kids take their time, ask a question or two, and allow for some wiggle room that our time became more productive and the children (myself included) were less stressed. I do my best with the time given but rushing isn't the answer. If the Lord rushed me every time He felt like I "needed" to get something done, I don't think I'd be where I'm at today. For this I am grateful.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Galatians 5:22

Lesson Two: Whistle While You Work

Ah, the carefree attitude of children! It's like a cool glass of water on a hot summer's day. I remember a show I used to watch when I was younger that was about the funny things children used to say. I laughed through most of the program. Children back then had a sweet carefree attitude and children today still do. One little boy I work will often times begin singing silly songs while he's working. He gets the other children laughing and feeling happy as well as myself. It's a sweet reminder to incorporate play into our workday. The saying "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" really does make sense! Even God took delight in His work!

And God saw that it was good. 
Genesis 1:10b

Lesson Three:You Shouldn't Be Too Old To Dance In The Rain

Rainy days can be exhausting both mentally and physically. The grey skies tend to bring moods down and keeping the little ones inside and entertained is no easy task. I'm not particularly fond of rain, and I know that most people would probably agree with me. One day though I had a sweet conversation with a little girl about umbrellas which then prompted her to tell me that she enjoyed jumping in puddles. She loved to jump in then when it rained outside. A big smile crept across my face as I asked her more questions. I realized then and there that I'd succumbed to common thinking amongst adults. I'd been going about it all wrong. God made the sunshine and the rain. Who was I too complain about one day over the next? Each day given is a gift from Him. We can choose to complain about the grey skies or we can choose to rejoice in the day and dance in the rain. This sweet girl helped me to remember such an important truth.

The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad. 
Psalm 118:24

I've learned so much more from these precious ones than just the lessons mentioned above but wanted to share with you these three. Children still need direction, training and lots of discipleship from godly older adults, but I think we sometimes forget that God can use a child to teach us older ones a lesson or two. Children really are a blessing from the Lord and I'm just beginning to experience the true meaning of Jesus' words, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:14)

                                              


share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply