Evil, Brokenness, Suffering: Healing Boston

Monday, April 22, 2013

Evil, Brokenness, Suffering

There are truly no sufficient words I can write that could ever explain or fathom the evil acts, brokenness and suffering that took place last week. I watched with deep sadness in my heart the live-streaming broadcasts of pain and suffering that happened at the Boston Marathon. A great tragedy took place on the streets my family and I have walked before. Innocent lives were taken away and damaged, due to hostile forces and tragic choices. A tragedy such as this creates a ripple effect in the surrounding communities, nation and world.

It's tempting to question God in the midst of all this; to ask why. Why? I think God wants us to come to Him with those deep questions. He's ready to wrap us in His comforting, loving arms as we weep. These emotions don't bother Him. Jesus experienced these deep, heart-wrenching emotions too.

Jesus Wept.

Living in a world of brokenness, evil and suffering is not easy. We wait, hope, long for the day when all pain will be gone and our tears are dried up at the source. What a glorious day that will be when everyone walks in unity, love and peace; when tragedy ceases to exist and the lion lies down with the lamb. What a glorious day that will be. Until then though, we live in a world that is not perfect. Jesus  told us this before He left the world. He also told us not to be afraid. It seems an impossible task, especially at times like these, but nevertheless still the words of Christ.

"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me." 
John 14:1

As we begin the slow and often painful healing process, we needn't be afraid to turn to God. He is ready and willing to bind up our wounds, tend to our pains and comfort us in all things. Reading the Psalms seem to be especially comforting for me in times of confusion, hurt and sorrow. As you will see in the entire book of Psalms, God is not afraid of our questions and emotions. In times of brokenness God is still with us. He still cares. It's in these times that we often can feel His presence in ways that go beyond our understanding.

One day when Jesus comes back to bring in the new world all pain, evil and suffering will be gone. We look with hope for that future day yet still carry that hope in Christ with us today. 

"In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."
John 14:2-3

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." 
John 16:33

Join me as we continue to pray for everyone affected by this tragedy and slowly begin the healing process.


share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply