Independent/Dependent Living

Monday, February 25, 2013

The More I Learn

The more I learn about God, the more I realize just how much I have to learn.

The more I try to do things my own way, the more I realize how much I need God's way.

The more I try to do things in my own strength, the more I realize how much I need God's strength.

Yeah...

In all honesty, I'm totally dependent upon Him. 


Every time I catch a better glimpse of God and His majesty, I suddenly feel like a little child again--and yet not in a bad way at all. It's actually in an extremely good, comforting and loving way!  The things I thought I knew now seem kind of silly next to His omniscience and holiness. The path I once felt pretty sure was the right one to take, I now question when I actually stop and take into consideration what it is that the Lord has to say. And when I try again to pull myself up by my bootstraps, grin and bear it, the more I truly see that my strength pales in comparison to my all powerful God. 

God not only wants to have a relationship with us through His Son Jesus Christ, but He wants us also to be totally dependent upon Him. He is after all, our Father. He has shown us the way in which to walk and He strengthens us as we lean upon Him.

Dependence on God

If I'm feeling tired, lost and weary then I've more than likely been living independently. (Meaning independent of God and in more ways than one.) Don't we all have a tendency to do this?

The world shouts at us, be independent! I wonder if God smiles when He hears phrases like that. If you think about it, our so called "independence" was actually a gift from God to begin with. (He was the One that gave us our bodies, minds and the freedom to choose in the first place.) But we weren't made to live independent from God. We were made for complete dependence upon Him.

He is the One Who teaches, guides and strengthens. He is the One Who gives life.

So what about this independent/dependent paradox? Well I guess I'll just have to leave that divine mystery in the hands of the Creator.  I do think though that the gift of our independence should never override our complete dependence upon Him. He is after all our Father and He is the Giver of life.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;

In all your ways acknowledge Him, 
And He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

May you be blessed as you consider the gift of independence from the Lord and yet still walk in complete dependence upon Him. 


share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply